Thursday 20 March 2014

Starting Spring with a colourful Boho clutch



Spring is in the air. We had some wonderful mild weeks here in Newcastle with lovely sunshine. I enjoyed the weather by sitting on my little bench in the garden and embroidering this new project of mine: a felt clutch.
When I started with the idea, I thought it would take only a few days to finish, but with the pattern for the inlay and the embroidery design it actually took 4 weeks.

More about the clutch in a few moments as I apologize to interrupt this program to bring you an important news flash.

Steve and I signed up for the Great North Run on the 7th of September. It is the second largest half marathon (13.1 miles) in the world. It starts in Newcastle and finishes in South Shields.
I know it sounds crazy when you think of the long distance, but I am really looking forward to this event! I already started training every week and will increase towards summer with longer routes.

We will run raising sponsorship money for the Mind Charity. Mind is the leading mental health charity in England and Wales to supports people who struggle with their mental health. Their service includes supported housing, crisis helplines, drop-in centres, employment and training schemes, counselling and befriending.

It is important to raise the awareness for mental health problems as there are many prejudices against it in our society. Every year, one in four will experience a mental health problem, it is vital that we have an open public discussion on mental health issues, so that no one concerned has to be ashamed asking for help.

I will write more about the Great North Run and on the Mind Charity, as the events get closer. As I am fundraising, any donation how small is much appreciated. Please find my fundraising account here.
Please note that already a donation of £8.70 can support the Mind Infoline team taking a call to someone in desperate need.

Back to a less serious subject.

I have discovered a new passion besides sewing soft toys: sewing Clutches!




When browsing on Pinterest, I discovered so many awesome DIY clutches of fellow bloggers, that I felt inspired to have a go myself.
At her last visit, my mother brought me some 100% pure wool felt in a Natural Beige colour from Germany as a present, knowing my high demand on crafting material.

The natural felt reminded me of traditional Bavarian folk design, and so I decided to mix up a folkloristic design from Hungary and Scandinavia with bright colours. The result was a boho chic clutch. 






To clarify the term Boho chic -

Boho chic is inspired by bohemian and hippie influences. In modern usage, the term "Bohemian" is applied to people who live unconventional, usually artistic, lives. The original "Bohemians" were actually travellers or refugees from central Europe (hence, the French bohémien, for "gypsy").

The romantic perception of Gypsy culture includes free-spirited living and travelling, colourful fabric and cloths, jingling jewellery, the magic of tarot and palm reading, cheerful music and liberating dancing.

I would like to pick up the gipsy theme at a different time and working with vintage thrift to create decoration, toys and clothes. The Blog Dottie Angel is a great source for vintage inspired crafting.  






Every learning curve comes with its trials and errors.
Although the design of the clutch seems to be quite easy and straight forward, coming up with the pattern wasn’t.
Next time I will keep in mind to make the lid smaller than the body of the clutch.
And another flaw, I sewed the little pockets to the wrong side, namely to the front/inside.

But I do love my little gem anyway. I can’t wait to try it out on the staff night out on Sunday.



4 comments:

  1. I love this! Your design is beautiful and the end product is stunning! Keep up the good work!
    (and lets have a coffee soon so you can take your lovely new clutch out for a spin :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! Vicky and Coffee and 'taking my Clutch out' sounds great! Hopefully next week! <3

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog post. I hope you have a lovely day!

Google Analytics Alternative